Lacrosse is the fastest game on two feet, and it is played with metal sticks in hands.
High-speed impacts and collisions are commonplace and so is dislocated shoulder/collar and broken bones.
Therefore, you need the best lacrosse shoulder pads with optimal features to keep you safe, while you enjoy your game.
Below is a comprehensive reviewed list of the best shoulder pads on the market.
Table of Contents
- A Comparison Chart of The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
- 5 of The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
- #1 - STX Stallion 50 Shoulder Pad – The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pad for Beginners
- #2 - Maverik Lacrosse Men's Rome RX3 Shoulder Pad – The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pad for Attack
- #3 - Epoch Lacrosse High-Performance Lacrosse Shoulder Pads – The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pad for Defense
- #4 - Warrior Rabil Shoulder Pad – The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pad for Middies
- #5 - Champion Sports Rhino Lacrosse Set – The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pad for Aggressive Lacrosse Play
- Buying Guide
A Comparison Chart of The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
5 of The Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
STX product is a renowned brand in the world of lacrosse. STX manufacture different lacrosse equipment for all professional and entry-level lacrosse athletes.
This is a youth sized lacrosse shoulder pad which offers a rich blend of flexibility and protection. It is targeted at players between the ages of 6 and 10. It is lightweight and easy to strap on.
It has a shoulder cap that provides protection for the upper arm, which extends to the elbow thanks to the unique fusion of bicep pads. The shoulder cap is not permanently fixed, it can be custom adjusted or removed entirely if necessary.
The fit of the STX Stallion 50 Shoulder Pad is carefully molded to match a player’s body. Not only is this shoulder pad very comfortable to wear, but it also makes mobility very easy. You will feel no restrictions at all.
These pads are the best lacrosse shoulder pads for an attack-minded player who wants to ghost behind defenses and get close to the net.
Because these are pads targeted at youths and collegiate level play, it is not recommended for use in adult professional games. As you move out of the youth leagues, impacts and collisions become harder. The padding is not suitable for harder impacts.
This is a very cool looking Maverik Lacrosse shoulder pad which comes with a PORON XRD foam technology.
This novel technology makes this pad soft to touch but hardens upon impact, giving you that optimal protection needed for your clavicle and sternum.
Additionally, this pad is highly customizable, you can select how much protection you need per game or in a season.
This feature is possible because of the unique pad design. Components parts such as back panels, the chest panels, the shoulder caps, and the bicep guards can be removed.
Also, another customizable feature of this pad is the COMFORTFIT arch which allows you personalized the shoulder pads in a suitable fit for each player.
Impacts forces from checks, slashes, cross-checks, and collisions are managed by the spine plates and ANAFORM chest. You will also enjoy the maximum range of motion possible.
Furthermore, a 37.5TM liner is specially fused into this cool shoulder pad for fast evaporation of sweat. You will be cool and comfortable throughout the game even if the game extends to extras.
The cushion has Wide 4-way stretch mesh straps for making changes. This feature guarantees that you get the ideal comfortable fit for your body.
Overall, you will not find a better lacrosse shoulder pad on the market for attackers. It’s cool features, and reasonable pricing makes it an attacker’s first choice.
This is a featured-packed lightweight shoulder pad designed for high performance. From the Phase Change Technology to the AED Quick Release mechanism, this premium shoulder pad oozes quality and sophisticated design that put your safety first.
The AED Quick Release feature is one no lacrosse player hopes to use. If a player suffers a heart threatening injury during a game, and will require the assistance of a defibrillator for survival.
The AED Quick Release feature allows easy and fast removal of chest protection with a minimal struggle for immediate medical examination.
This feature is a lifesaver.
To ensure the AED Quick Release feature is never needed, Epoch pads are strategically covered with compression molded dual-density foam.
This shoulder pad is strategically padded to hug a player’s body and provide a natural shape.
The design is such that players are more accurately protected while also allowing for maximum mobility and flexibility.
For every player who wears the Epoch Lacrosse Shoulder Pads, the Phase Change Technology will provide adequate comfort, heating and cooling needed. This technology is like those seen in space suits. This intelligent lacrosse shoulder pad can sense your body temperature and adequately adjust to make you feel comfortable.
It offers quality for high performance, and at the current price, it is a steal. But rib, elbow, and other pads part is sold separately.
Defend your vulnerable areas with the solid Warrior lacrosse shoulder pad. This is an excellent shoulder pad for collegiate/intermediate level players.
This pad comes with a hitman shoulder system which ensures maximum protection for the shoulder. Using a floating shoulder pad design that collapse and expanse as the player run during the game.
This feature allows for protection which at the same time does not compromise mobility and flexibility in play.
It has high-density foam combined with a perfect addition of soft mesh flex points it is soft and cozy, run like a hare in these bad boys. The ideal pad for a middle player who wants to wear something that feels like nothing.
On top of that, it also comes with integrated rib protection and external sternum plate for additional protection which is very vital for intermediate and entry-level players.
The Warrior Rabil NXT Shoulder Pad contains all the necessary feature an intermediate player needs. It is lightweight, very affordable, and protective. Also available in multiple sizes of small, medium, and large.
So, there is a perfect fit for every player.
Conclusively, this is a full shoulder pad designed for lacrosse players who like to play from the middle. It's available for a reasonable price for coaches and players with tight budgets.
This is a beefy-looking premium lacrosse set which includes ultra-lite shoulder pads, gloves pad, and arm guards from Champion sports. The champion sports shoulder pad is incredibly lightweight and allows unparallel freedom for pace and movement.
This is a serious piece of pad engineered to withstand punishing impacts of aggressive lacrosse play. It provides players with performance, protection, and perfect fit at a reasonable price.
It comes with shoulder pads, arm guards, and arm guards, providing multiple breaks in critical areas for customization. This is important if a player is looking for superior functionality combined with an improved fit.
The champion sports shoulder pad features a dual-density foam, an internal cap system which absorbs force on impacts and provides comfort for the player.
This multi-piece shoulder pad is easy to set up. The chest protector, gloves, arm guards, and the shoulder pads are designed to provide you a full range of motion. Yet providing maximum comfort on impact while competing to win.
Whether it is rainy or sunny, this lacrosse set is ready to go. Coaches, teachers, guardians, and parents can be confident their wards are competing safely with this lacrosse pad set.
This shoulder pad is designed with the beginner safety as a priority, you can worry less as your child learn new tricks and skills in this lacrosse set. You can give this set as a holiday or birthday gift for your kids to learn and have fun.
The most crucial piece of protective gear for a lacrosse player is the shoulder pad. Players who play attack and midfield get checked the most. A lacrosse shoulder part is the only way to protect the vital organs and the skeletal muscles around them.
Having a broken rib or dislocated rib during a game is not fun, this will keep you on the sidelines for long.
Defenders who protect the goal do a lot of checking, attackers who try to ghost behind defense need speed and mobility both will prefer lightweight and unobtrusive shoulder pad.
Types of Shoulder Pad
There are many lacrosse shoulder pads on the market, they vary in size and the protection they confer. Shoulder pads with longer arms that go further down the back and chest provide better protection. The two types of lacrosse shoulder pads are:
Shoulder Pad Liner
These shoulder pads are designed to be low profile pieces and snug fitting which protect the collar bone and sternum. But they lack arm padding and do not have a bulky shoulder padding. Liners are mostly worn by advanced level players that are getting rid of padding for more mobility and are playing either in defines or midfield.
Traditional Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
This shoulder pad provides more protection than the shoulder pad liners. They are mostly worn by youth and collegiate players. They are also recommended for older players who get checked often. Most attackman prefers the shoulder pads than the liners, as they want an extra arm and shoulder protection.
Advancing players should wear the most protection possible.
Look Out for the Following Things When Selecting the Best Lacrosse Shoulder Pads
Your shoulder pad of choice should have a form of ventilation technology to help you manage your body temperature during games.
One vital feature to look out for is to observe if the pad chest segment is elastic and allows you to breathe. The shoulder pad will not only let you breathe comfortably but should also contour your rib cage and provide maximum protection.
#2. Strapping System
Look into how easy it is to strap the shoulder pad onto the player's body.
Different brands have tried many strapping systems with varying results. Some shoulder pads use plastic buckles others use Velcro. Velcro is the most reliable.
#3. Heart Protection
Lacrosse is a dangerous sport. The pace of the game can get frantic with balls flying at a high rate of speed which sometimes hit a player’s chest. This can stop the heart from beating. Some lacrosse shoulder pads offer a unique removable chest region system that is placed as a layer over the chest.
Other manufacturers are aware of the risk to the heart and have placed an extra sternum plate over the chest for added protection.
To prevent such an accident, purchase a shoulder pad that provides a sternum plate, or an air bladder system which is an air-filled bag velcroed inside the shoulder pad.
#4. The Weight of the Shoulder Pad
Lacrosse is often called the fastest game played on two feet on the planet. It is a contact-heavy sport, requiring mobility and speed. As much as protective equipment is needed to play the game, it should not impair gameplay.
Lacrosse shoulder pads should be manufactured from high-quality, lightweight materials. Some shoulder pads are lightweight such that a player feels like he is wearing nothing.
Attackers looking to speed behind the defense need a lightweight shoulder pad which will also offer protection from checks, slashes, cross-checks, and collisions as they charge at goal.
Regardless of your position of play and the choice of your shoulder pad, it should fit snug to your body without impeding movement. As well as offers sufficient padding for the collarbone and sternum area.
Your pad should not be riding up into your neck. It should be a perfect fit that adequately protects your vitals during play. Shoulder pads come in sizes XS-S-M-L-XL, each brand having specific measurements.
Pay rapt attention to the size chart, an appropriately fitted shoulder pad should directly cover your chest without dropping too low.
We have moved past the era of heavy-duty lacrosse shoulder pads, now there are many durable, light products in the market with lots of beneficial features.
This buying guide is a sure stop to anyone looking for quality lacrosse shoulder pads.
The top-rated lacrosse shoulder pad for defense is the Epoch Lacrosse High-Performance Lacrosse Shoulder Pads. It is a hulking beast that stands its ground against the best out there.
- AED QUICK RELEASE - Epoch wants players to remain protected and safe during practice and game play. That’s why Epoch’s engineers designed the new Integra Shoulder Pads to have quick release front protection straps for easy AED (Automated External Defibrillator) access.
- PHASE CHANGE TECHNOLOGY - This high performance textile is used in the lining the space suits of astronauts to regulate their body temperatures. Phase Change Technology is engineered to absorb, store and release heat for optimal thermal comfort and moisture control. The new Phase Change Technology used in our Integra gloves, arm guards and shoulder pads senses your body heat and reacts accordingly. Micro crystals within the material absorb and melt when you sweat to cool you down.
- CARBON FIBER - Our Integra Players Glove uses a non-rigid stabilized carbon fiber that is an extremely lightweight and “flexible” carbon fiber that has improved impact protection and is also resistant to abrasions. Our engineers incorporated Carbon Fiber into the design of our glove utilizing it to protect the thumb and back of the hand. Carbon Fiber is also used in other high impact areas such as the elbow caps of the arm pads and the bicep pads on the Integra Shoulder Pads.
- GAME-CHANGING - Our engineers are lacrosse players, and know lacrosse inside and out and what advanced players are looking for in their protective equipment. They were set out to create the ultimate lacrosse protective gear sourcing the most technologically superior materials available in their creation – Phase Change Technology, Carbon Fiber and Tri-Layer Dual Density Foam Stack.
- COMPRESSION MOLDED DUAL DENSITY FOAM - Dual Density Foam: This foam reduces the amount of stitching needed on the pad, improving flexibility, movement and protection. From a design standpoint, this also allows Epoch to be more precise in the shape of the pad, giving the Integra Protective Line an overall cleaner, and more precise look.
If you need an ultra-light liner, the Maverik Lacrosse Men's Rome RX3 Shoulder Pad has been the best shoulder pad liner for several years.
- Ansform your pads to suit the season. Customize your protection with removable bicep guards, shoulder caps, chest panels and back panels
- ANAFORM chest and spine plates are designed to manage impact forces from checks, slashes and cross checks while maximizing freedom of movement
- PORON XRD foam is soft to the touch but hardens on impact providing maximum protection to the sternum and clavicle
- 37.5 liner keeps you cool and allows for fast evaporation of sweat, Wide 4-way stretch mesh straps
- The adjustable COMFORTFIT arch allows the player to personalize fit